Les Houches
I am writing this post in a skirt, with my legs hanging off a sunny patio and Mont. Blanc looming before me against a blue sky. It’s about as close to paradise as I’ve come and believe it or not, I am at a high energy physics workshop dedicated to studying Physics at the TeV scale (what I am working on). There are around 50 of us experimentalists and theorists lodged in seven chalets which sit high up on a valley wall at the feet of Mont Blanc, one of the most famous mountains in the Alps. I have a large room to myself that opens onto a terrace with a view of the mountains (ok, its not the best in the camp, but its pretty darn good!). The school, which has been around for 50 years and hosted many notables, has a main building with an amphitheatre, computer rooms, conference rooms and the requisite tea and coffee room. There are benches outside as well for sitting in the sun and contemplating. All meals are taken in the restaurant and provided by the school.
The staff knows I'm vegetarian, which, for the French, translates to someone who replace meat with cheese. And since I am in the region Haut Savoie, the home of fondue, this is especially true. For dinner last night I had chaussons de fromage, which is cheese wrapped in buttery philo dough, and frites, for lunch I had leeks in cream with melted cheese, and for dinner I had a cheese quiche. I'm not starving yet, but I think I'm going to have to make a trip down to the village for some extra provisions at some point.
The first day, yesterday, comprised of overview and organizational meetings. The format of the workshop is to meet in subgroups, come up with problems and try to solve them. We have been warned that formal talks are to be avoided at all costs. I am in the ‘Beyond the Standard Model working group, (i.e. weird physics) and my analysis is going to be one of the subjects for a subgroup on SUSY mass determinations. I am by far the youngest and least knowledgeable person here, most are well into to or well beyond their PhDs. The bulk of the participants are 30-40 something year old European theorists, but a little bit of each physics demographic is represented. Everyone seems nice, and mostly normal, although you can definitely tell some are physicists more than others. One young theorist started hitting on me the minute I walked in the door, but besides that everything has been quite pleasant.
I’ve been riding in the formidable mountains when I get the chance and spending the rest of my time going to talks, working on my project and taking in the beauty of the place. It’s a stimulating environment, both intellectually and physically. Everyone is very passionate about their work and there is a sense of urgency to profit from the unique opportunity we have to work with each other. Anyways, more updates to come!
The staff knows I'm vegetarian, which, for the French, translates to someone who replace meat with cheese. And since I am in the region Haut Savoie, the home of fondue, this is especially true. For dinner last night I had chaussons de fromage, which is cheese wrapped in buttery philo dough, and frites, for lunch I had leeks in cream with melted cheese, and for dinner I had a cheese quiche. I'm not starving yet, but I think I'm going to have to make a trip down to the village for some extra provisions at some point.
The first day, yesterday, comprised of overview and organizational meetings. The format of the workshop is to meet in subgroups, come up with problems and try to solve them. We have been warned that formal talks are to be avoided at all costs. I am in the ‘Beyond the Standard Model working group, (i.e. weird physics) and my analysis is going to be one of the subjects for a subgroup on SUSY mass determinations. I am by far the youngest and least knowledgeable person here, most are well into to or well beyond their PhDs. The bulk of the participants are 30-40 something year old European theorists, but a little bit of each physics demographic is represented. Everyone seems nice, and mostly normal, although you can definitely tell some are physicists more than others. One young theorist started hitting on me the minute I walked in the door, but besides that everything has been quite pleasant.
I’ve been riding in the formidable mountains when I get the chance and spending the rest of my time going to talks, working on my project and taking in the beauty of the place. It’s a stimulating environment, both intellectually and physically. Everyone is very passionate about their work and there is a sense of urgency to profit from the unique opportunity we have to work with each other. Anyways, more updates to come!

<< Home